9 a.m. -4 p.m. September 8 , 2012 Susquehanna Hall, Elizabethtown College
The New Middle East and Its Relations with the US and the World
By Tom Lippman, Former Middle East Bureau Chief, Washington Post
Update: Panel Schedule Announced
WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL OF HARRISBURG
DRAFT CONFERENCE PROPOSAL
SEPT, 8, 2012
ANNUAL ASSOCIATES MEETING AND CONFERENCE
AFTER BIN LADEN: STUXNET, DRONES AND THE NEW MIDDLE EAST
9 a.m. registration
9:30- 10 a.m. – GREETINGS and introductions
MODERATOR: KAVEH BASMENJI – Voice of America’s Persian Service
- ADVANCES AND FAILURES IN FIGHTING TERRORISM: THE OBAMA administration seems to have moved away from relying on conventional warfare to defeat terrorism. Instead, he is opting for Drone attacks and cyberwar to keep Al Qaeda on the run. Is the strategy working? Or is it just creating a new generation of angry, Muslim youth? Panelists include
- Larry P. Goodson, Ph.D., Professor of Middle East Studies, Department of National Security and Strategy, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA 17013
- Amy Godion, Dickinson College, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law & School of International Affairs
- Siamak_Dehghanpour – Voice of America, Iranian-American journalist and television personality. He is the host of the news television talk show program called “OFOGH” (Horizon) on the Voice of America‘s television network / Persian News Network (VOA / PNN). The program is taped live and shown daily via satellite to audiences inside Iran from the VOA studios located in Washington, D.C.. The show can also be seen live on the Internet on various Persian related websites. Dehghanpour is also the Managing Editor at VOA’s Persian News Network.
Noon- 1:45 p.m.
- Luncheon speaker — THE NEW MIDDLE EAST AND ITS RELATIONS WITH THE U.S. AND THE WORLD — TOM LIPPMAN, former Middle East Bureau Chief, Washington Post CONFIRMED
- INTRODUCTION – AMBASSADOR CRAIG OR STUDENT
Moderator: Joyce Davis
THE NEW MIDDLE EAAST: IS IT DEMOCRACY YET: OVERVIEW OF REVOLUTIONS AND POLITICAL DEVELOPMENTS IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA THAT IMPACT GLOBAL STABILITY. THE NEW MIDDLE EAST: Is it Democracy yet? What is the prospect for non stable states such as Yemen, Egypt, North Africa, Syria and impact on the Middle East? What needs to be done to achieve democracy in these areas?
- Christopher J. Dolan, Associate Professor of Political Science and International Studies. Director of the International Studies Program.
- Rend al Rahim– Executive Director, Iraq Foundation
- Dr. Oya Ozkanca – Associate Professor, Political Science; Director of International Affairs minor; Elizabethtown College
- Sunni Khalid, former NPR Middle East correspondent.